IPTC Guidelines & Support
For help with questions and implementation of IPTC’s Photo Metadata standard, view these links to the IPTC Image Metadata Handbook, IPTC Core and Extension Guidelines, IPTC-PLUS Photo Metadata Toolkit for Adobe CS, user guides, forums, and more.
Handbook & User Guides
- a brand new version was made available in October 2016
- walks users through the major groups of metadata and the fields contained within each. Suggestions are given about what type of information should be included in each fields.
- offers an alphabetical list of field name to help users easily locate a field within its category.
- includes the needs of the stock industry and the cultural heritage sector. Metadata examples for independent, staff, and agency photographers plus images of artwork are shown.
- outlines the industry standard for comprehensive metadata management by professionals including photographers, photo agencies and publishers.
- was compiled as a thorough guide to include all changes and developments regarding IPTC fields prior to 2010.
- explains the importance of metadata and illustrates how it can be entered, captured and stored.
- gives examples of how metadata can be used for various businesses and organizations, including news agencies, stock agencies and museums.
- includes sample workflow charts that allow businesses to assess needs and plan for how metadata will be used.
- lists and explains all core and extension fields, which helps users maximize the information being stored, so that images are accurately described and easily accessed later.
- provides guidelines for users of the IPTC Photo Metadata properties using the IPTC and the IPTC Extension metadata panels of File Info in Adobe CS 5.0 – 6.0 products.
It allows users to share experiences, raise questions, and recommend and discuss changes to the Photo Metadata standard.
Reference Images with all current IPTC Photo Metadata
You can view and download an image file which includes all metadata fields defined by an IPTC Standard:
– Standard 2017.1
– Standard 2016
– Standard 2014
If you check this image with some imaging software you should see a value of the field reflecting the name of the field. E.g. as value of the Creator field: “Creator (ref2016)”.
Brand new in December 2016!
Two plugin panels for Adobe Bridge CC (up to 2016 versions) and CS6 with a focus on fields in the IPTC Photo Metadata Standard 2016 relevant for images of artwork and other cultural heritage objects like buildings.
These panels support
- Reading and writing the complete set of Artwork or Object fields of the IPTC standard
- Key image administration fields
- Automatically generating image caption and keywords from existing Artwork or Object data
- The second panel allows for import and export of data into IPTC fields embedded into an image
It boosts the easy and successful use of IPTC and PLUS photo metadata with Adobe CS3 to CS5.5 products – but not with CS6 and CC versions of Adobe products.
What is the Toolkit for?
What’s in the Toolkit?
- IPTC-PLUS Metadata Panels for Bridge CS3 to CS 5.5 (not CS6 and CC)
- IPTC-PLUS Metadata Panels – Installer
This is a script for installing the Panel script above.
- IPTC-PLUS Metadata Panels User Guide
Provides guidelines for users of the IPTC Photo Metadata properties using the IPTC-PLUS Metadata panels.
- 4 example image files
These image files have already a rich set of metadata and may be used as reference.